The Ministry of Congregational Care is to provide loving care to those who, because of physical limitations, are deprived of the opportunity to participate in regular activities of the church community.
Our purpose is to provide spiritual encouragement and support to those unable to participate in worship and other ministries of the church.
The Care Caller Ministry includes Nursing Home and Homebound Visitation from competent and caring lay members.
Through these visits we provide:
• A ministry of COMPASSION providing physical, emotional and spiritual support.
• A ministry of ENCOURAGEMENT reinforcing the value of each individual to God and the church family.
• A ministry of COMMUNITY maintaining the cohesiveness of the church.
• A ministry of SERVICE to those who want to feel connected to their church community through serving communion, hospital visitation, and more.
We provide and organize:
• Care Callers are trained volunteers who visit our homebound members offering a caring connection to our church even when they can’t be present in worship.
• Prayer Chain through telephone and e-mail involves over 30 members who pray for needs and requests.
• Bulletins, cards, and DVD's of our Sunday Worship service are sent or delivered to those who are hospitalized & homebound
• Meals for Members are provided when a new baby is born or as follow-up care for the hospitalized.
• Flower are delivered to hospitalized members of our church during their stay.
• Transportation is provided for members in need of a ride to church or medical facilities.
• Blood Drives—Blood drives are held four times a year to provide the opportunity to donate much-needed blood through Heartland blood services.
• A Parish Nurse provides monthly blood pressure checks.
• Flu Shots are offered in the fall, administered by a local pharmacy
•Gifts for Graduates are presented to them on behalf of our church.
• Church Family Christmas Caroling Lunch is provided before we head out to our homebound in nursing homes, retirement centers, or private homes to sing Christmas Carols. Christmas cookies provided by the congregation are taken along as gifts.
• Lenten Meals are provided on Maundy Thursday, just before our evening worship.
• Foster Children Christmas Gifts are collected and delivered to those in need.
• Teas are hosted Sunday afternoons at our local UCC residences.
Walk-In Ministry of Hope – Housed in our church building is a coordinated ministry of 19 Downers Grove area churches that provides compassionate assistance to individuals and families in need. Emergency vouchers enable people to obtain groceries, gas, bus and train passes, prescriptions and some housing.
The ministry is open four mornings a week from 10 a.m. - 12 Noon, and Monday evenings from 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. The Walk-In Ministry phone number is 630-322-9803. Congregational Care manages the Hughes Funds to the needy which funds Walk-In Ministry and individual needs. Our congregation collects School Supplies for clients of this ministry. www.walkinministryofhope.org
TOPS "Take Off Pounds Sensibly”
HEALTHY HEARTS CHAPTER
Join this dedicated group whose mission it is to support its members as they “take and keep off pounds sensibly.” Our objective is to encourage healthy lifestyles through our weight-management support group. A private weigh-in is followed by a program on a wide variety of topics pertaining to the weight-loss journey and healthy lifestyle. Our meetings provide members with positive reinforcement and motivation in adhering to their food and exercise plans.